NEWS & VIEWS
Your Sadaqa Food Bank Resource Center
SFB CHALLENGE UPDATE
Alhamdulilah by the help of Allah swt and the generosity of the Ottawa community, the Sadaqa Food Bank Ramadan Basket Challenge was a resounding success. The Food Bank was able to provide food hampers to nearly 560 families in need.
Thank you for your continued support. May Allah swt accept it from us all.
Wishing you all a Ramadan Mubarak. May this blessed month bring you and your families lots of goodness.
The growing concerns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic is an important public health matter, and one that the Sadaqa Food Bank is taking seriously. We are committed to doing all we can to protect our volunteers while continuing service to the greater community of Ottawa.
In response we are taking the following precautions:
- We remain open but are moving to an emergency service hamper model effective IMMEDIATELY.
- Increasing our on-site hygiene, particularly in high-traffic areas.
- Staggering client visits to allow more distancing.
- Asking volunteers and the general public who have traveled or who are feeling unwell to not visit our premises.
- Recommending that any volunteers that have underlying health conditions or are immune-compromised please refrain from volunteering.
- Encouraging staff, volunteers, and visitors are to wash their hands frequently.
- Continuing to assess and working to implement additional health and safety measures for volunteers, clients and staff.
Sadaqa Food Bank knows that our strength lies not only in the words we stand by, but most importantly through the actions of our initiatives. We are a non-profit charitable organization recognized in Canada as a registered charity.
Our Mission Statement
Our primary mission is to provide the healthiest possible food choices by engaging and inspiring our Ottawa community.
Services are provided to all residents of Ottawa who self-identify as needing food assistance.
Services are provided regardless of race, ethnicity, ability, age, sexual orientation, income or religion. The organization is non-sectarian, non-denominational, non-partisan, working for the best interests of its members and clients.
Nepean Location: Saturday and Sunday 9:00am - 12:00pm
What You Need
If you wish to sign up as a client, please bring the following items with you to be reviewed for the eligibility to receive a food donation
- Photo Identification for the person picking up food and Proof of Identity for each member of your household (driver's license, health card, bus pass, birth certificate, passport or permanent resident's card).
- Proof of Address such as recent mail with your name, address and date (government letters, hydro or phone bill, drug card).
- Any documents that display whether you are receiving income (pay stub or HST/Child benefit).
- Solid, reusable grocery bags or backpack to carry your groceries.
For recurring clients:
Please bring your:
- Food bank card
- Valid Ontario ID
- An empty oil bottle (to receive oil)
- Solid reusable grocery bag
You Can Make a Difference
VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME
Show Your Support
We thank the community members of Ottawa for their continued effort in helping Sadaqa Food Bank in any way. Unfortunately, we are not accepting any new volunteers due to the the current facility size and due to the current restrictions set by the Government of Ontario.
Please stay tuned for more updates and we thank you for your cooperation.
MAKE A DONATION
Make A True Change
Our organization always appreciates the generosity and involvement of people like you, with every contribution going towards making Sadaqa Food Bank an even better Food Bank than it already is.
General Food items we require are the following:
- Canned food
- All non perishable items
Please visit our partner and drop locations if you would like to donate any food items. The locations are as follows:
Al Jazeerah Food & Meat Market
Desi Price Club, Merivale Rd
M F Food Mart
Human Concern International
South Nepean Muslim Community (SNMC-Barrhaven)
Ottawa Muslim Association - Ottawa Mosque
Kanata Muslim Association (KMA)
Jami Omar Mosque
Centre Islamique de l'Outaouais
The Mosque of Aylmer / La Mosquée d'Aylmer
Darul Sunnah (Masjid Al-Rahma)
Islamic Society of Cumberland (Masjid Bilal)
Silk Road Foods
Shirin Market, Kanata
We want to provide you with the correct and appropriate information pertaining to your mode of support, so don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions.
Thank you so much for your donations!
Supporting your community with a Sadaqa Food Cupboard donation makes a positive difference in the lives of adults and children.
Your monetary donation helps support:
The purchase of non-perishable food such as rice and pasta.
The purchase of perishable food such as milk, meat, fruits and vegetables.
Day-to-day food bank operations such as the rental of warehouse facilities.
To give a monetary donation, click on the link below. You will then be taken to the ICNA donation page. To donate Sadaqa Food bank Ottawa, within the "Select Projects" dropdown, select "Food Bank - Ottawa". From there you can select the payment type and how often you would like to donate.